Dr. Upshaw has experience in a wide range of complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts, including intellectual property, antitrust, business tort, securities, and license litigation. He has successfully handled everything from sole responsibility for cases from first filing through final appeal, to cooperatively planning and managing massive multinational bet-the-company conflicts involving dozens of simultaneous litigation, arbitration, and administrative matters handled by multiple law firms and vendors.
Before opening his innovative law office, Dr. Upshaw was Senior Litigation Counsel at Nokia, where in addition to managing litigation, his responsibilities included developing electronic discovery and other litigation policies, procedures, and platforms; advising on licensing and other transactions; budgeting; and managing outside counsel. As a member of Jones Day’s award-winning litigation group, Dr. Upshaw handled numerous cases on his own as part of an industry-leading training and apprenticeship program, in addition to working cooperatively as a part of large litigation teams on major cases.
Before attending law school, Dr. Upshaw spent six years as an assistant professor at Austin College where he taught courses in statistics, applied microeconomics, and the economics of regulation. As a professor, he was recognized as an expert in several cases where he offered testimony on damages.
- The Changing Landscape of Patent Litigation, Trial, Vol. 50, No. 2, February 2014, pp 44-51
- SMU—Edwin L. Cox School of Business, Caruth Institute for Entrepreneurship, Certificate—Starting a Business course—24 July 2012
- Life Member, Texas Law Review Association, 2012-present
- Member, ABA Advisory Panel, 2012-2014
- Member, Dallas Bar Association, 2005-present
- 2013 Antitrust Section Leadership Council
- Sections: Intellectual Property Law; Antitrust & Trade Regulation
- Member, American Association for Justice, 2004-present
- Sections & Litigation Groups: Intellectual Property; Business Torts
- Member, Eastern District of Texas Bar Association, 2012-present
Selected Speaking Engagements
- Co-Presenter, “Current Issues in e-Discovery,” March 19, 2013, Dallas Bar Association Antitrust & Trade Regulation Section—Dallas, Texas
- Presenter, “Raising the Bar for IP Litigation Management,” 12 December 2012, GOAL, IP Litigation- Primer of Intellectual Property Law and Information Technology Disputes—Web conference
- Panelist, “Federal Circuit eDiscovery Order,” 3 Aug 2012, State Bar of Texas 8th Annual Advanced Patent Litigation Seminar—Irving, Texas
- Panelist, “(Appellate) Law & Economics,” 20 July 2012, State Bar of Texas Appellate Section, Appellate Corporate Counsel Seminar—Dallas, Texas